Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT
a***@gmail.com
2004-12-21 04:28:45 UTC
your creation will be called linux... i am the prophet
George Eapen
2005-01-05 21:41:13 UTC
.
t***@gmail.com
2005-01-10 06:15:07 UTC
Thanks for **EVERYTHING** Linus
Do ya like talk radio bro? Check out < http://tinyurl.com/43kmw >
Talk Radio with edge.

Hello Slashdotters!
k***@gmail.com
2005-01-10 06:38:24 UTC
Do you pine for the nice days of minix-1.1, when men were men and
their own device drivers? Are you without a nice project and just
dying
to cut your teeth on a OS you can try to modify for your needs? Are
you
finding it frustrating when everything works on minix? No more all-
nighters to get a nifty program working? Then this post might be just
for you :-)
As I mentioned a month(?) ago, I'm working on a free version of a
minix-lookalike for AT-386 computers. It has finally reached the
stage
where it's even usable (though may not be depending on what you
want),
and I am willing to put out the sources for wider distribution. It
is
just version 0.02 (+1 (very small) patch already), but I've
successfully
run bash/gcc/gnu-make/gnu-sed/compress etc under it.
Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at nic.funet.fi
(128.214.6.100) in the directory /pub/OS/Linux. The directory also
contains some README-file and a couple of binaries to work under
linux
(bash, update and gcc, what more can you ask for :-). Full kernel
source is provided, as no minix code has been used. Library sources
are
only partially free, so that cannot be distributed currently. The
system is able to compile "as-is" and has been known to work. Heh.
Sources to the binaries (bash and gcc) can be found at the same place
in
/pub/gnu.
ALERT! WARNING! NOTE! These sources still need minix-386 to be
compiled
(and gcc-1.40, possibly 1.37.1, haven't tested), and you need minix
set it up if you want to run it, so it is not yet a standalone system
for those of you without minix. I'm working on it. You also need to
be
something of a hacker to set it up (?), so for those hoping for an
alternative to minix-386, please ignore me. It is currently meant for
hackers interested in operating systems and 386's with access to
minix.
The system needs an AT-compatible harddisk (IDE is fine) and EGA/VGA.
If
you are still interested, please ftp the README/RELNOTES, and/or mail
me
for additional info.
I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already
got
minix. This is a program for hackers by a hacker. I've enjouyed
doing
it, and somebody might enjoy looking at it and even modifying it for
their own needs. It is still small enough to understand, use and
modify, and I'm looking forward to any comments you might have.
I'm also interested in hearing from anybody who has written any of
the
utilities/library functions for minix. If your efforts are freely
distributable (under copyright or even public domain), I'd like to
hear
from you, so I can add them to the system. I'm using Earl Chews
estdio
right now (thanks for a nice and working system Earl), and similar
works
will be very wellcome. Your (C)'s will of course be left intact. Drop
me
a line if you are willing to let me use your code.
Linus
PS. to PHIL NELSON! I'm unable to get through to you, and keep
getting
"forward error - strawberry unknown domain" or something.
Wow.

<3
Grant Harris
2005-01-10 07:35:08 UTC
Your creation has truly benefitted the computing world, good work.
p***@gmail.com
2005-01-10 08:35:47 UTC
Mr. Torvalds, You have been slashdotted.. On behalf of every geek in
the world, We love you.
Martijn van Buul
2005-01-10 08:39:27 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
We love you.
Well.... I really wouldn't go that far...
--
Martijn van Buul - ***@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
Geek code: G-- - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...' Isaac Asimov
r***@gmail.com
2005-01-10 19:26:58 UTC
I would.
We love you.
and www.refrozen.com is an amazing site.
Martijn van Buul
2005-01-10 19:34:22 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
and www.refrozen.com is an amazing site.
And you're a cheapskate. Cause it's the worst "Coming soon!" site I've ever
seen.
r***@gmail.com
2005-01-13 02:30:53 UTC
haha.
sorry lol.
It's back now :P :P I was just usenet-spamming anyways, slashdotted
sites get lots of hits :P
m***@gmail.com
Woot!
S***@gmail.com
S***@gmail.com
linus is a badass
Ben Long
Is this still a valid offer?
Antonio Varni
2005-01-11 00:13:50 UTC
Bah! Nobody's gonna run your hacked together pet project. The world's
gonna stay running minix forever!
j***@gmail.com
2019-04-26 11:08:37 UTC
ahahah Look
james
f***@gmail.com
2005-03-19 16:01:05 UTC
:-M
f***@gmail.com
2011-10-25 23:01:20 UTC
You ROCK man!
t***@gmail.com
2013-02-12 19:54:57 UTC
This is incredible to read this after so many years have passed.

We lived a fantastic century...
Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at nic.funet.fi
(128.214.6.100) in the directory /pub/OS/Linux. The directory also
contains some README-file and a couple of binaries to work under linux
(bash, update and gcc, what more can you ask for :-). Full kernel
source is provided, as no minix code has been used. Library sources are
only partially free, so that cannot be distributed currently. The
system is able to compile "as-is" and has been known to work. Heh.
Sources to the binaries (bash and gcc) can be found at the same place in
/pub/gnu.
ALERT! WARNING! NOTE! These sources still need minix-386 to be compiled
(and gcc-1.40, possibly 1.37.1, haven't tested), and you need minix to
r***@gmail.com
2013-02-24 11:40:24 UTC
How things have changed.

Linux is now in ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/linux/ instead of ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/os/linux/

No more subdirectory!!
s***@gmail.com
2013-09-28 10:46:10 UTC
So this is how the world's greatest, sophisticated , powerful,reliable, open-source operating system started out hmmm.............
m***@gmail.com
2014-08-12 14:13:56 UTC
Here im, posting for eternity
d***@gmail.com
2014-08-17 00:16:47 UTC
my post for eternity!!
s***@amritahyd.org
2015-03-13 07:07:08 UTC
nice post......................
s***@amritahyd.org
2015-03-13 07:07:35 UTC
very nice post...............
s***@amritahyd.org
2015-03-13 07:37:53 UTC
nice post........................
s***@gmail.com
2015-03-18 21:33:56 UTC
Thank you for this gift, Linus. :D
y***@gmail.com
2015-12-17 20:37:22 UTC
d***@gmail.com
2016-05-12 23:20:04 UTC
I can't believe it's been 25 years now. Linux rocks!
a***@gmail.com
2016-06-06 12:03:25 UTC
25 years and we still don't have a lot of support for it. We still love you Linus.
Krunal Shah
2016-08-01 17:47:57 UTC
Good Linus Torvalds for this work.

and thank you so much for making the code of kernel available to all.
b***@gmail.com
And Hurd is still not done.
Krunalkumar Shah
not Linux but it must be linix.
m***@gmail.com
This is history right here.
b***@gmail.com
Thanks a lot for bringing out the geek in all of us.
g***@163.com
good
e***@gmail.com
Linux わせかいいち
l***@gmail.com
2018-01-23 00:39:56 UTC
Thank you for your creation! You set me free from the win ecosystem! Been enjoying your creation for the past decades! You are a Digital god!
--- End of Message ---
p***@gmail.com
l***@gmail.com
2018-08-29 00:03:26 UTC
Can't believe Google hosts this!!! Awesome!! Everyone loves Linus, Thank you for your significant contribution to society!!!
d***@deavmi.lxd
2018-12-30 22:07:32 UTC
Wat i love is that the thread for andrew vs linux still exists.
l***@gmail.com
2019-03-08 15:18:02 UTC
Trying to be in this legendary history, Selemani Likoko from Tz
e***@gmail.com
2019-03-25 04:59:38 UTC
hi r/dankmemes
r***@gmail.com
2018-10-29 10:05:58 UTC
So... what is this kernel thing does actually?
d***@gmail.com
2019-11-03 12:18:19 UTC
I have made a great pilgrimage from the year 2019 to see this.

-David Luck 19, San Antonio

Wow. The Net/Usenet is amazing.
m***@gmail.com
Posting here to be & to keep in memory
d***@dlsl.edu.ph
peepee poopoo
y***@gmail.com
Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at nic.funet.fi
[...]
Thanks Linus , Linux everywhere ;=)
ygemici - unix-linux
g***@gmail.com
I stiil like minix better with the racoon.
Neye Oyenuga
:-)
Sayed Arian Kooshesh
heh
Satyrn
poggers
youssouf Nchetkou
2020-10-15 12:49:48 UTC
The actual link for Old linux kernel version (0.x):

http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/Linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/
tyqw1 aka Niggapods
Killaship
2021-05-29 12:22:10 UTC
Well, I don't know what to put here, but you are amazing, Linux is great, and this is my mark here. Bye, and everyone enjoy their historical... linux... texts for whatever reason... you decided to read.... ok bye
Ruben de Groot
2021-10-18 17:50:17 UTC
cool
Dark Prism
31 years later...
Senan Warnock
Just booted up explorer... whats this linux thing?
Mitch Guthrie (Metaprose)
Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at nic.funet.fi
[...]
Get me in the screenshot
-Metaprose